Veneer is an ultra-thin moulding for the tooth. It is custom-made from porcelain and is bonded to the front surface of your tooth. Veneers treatment is one of the most effective ways to sort out problems related to crooked, chipped, stained or misshapen teeth.
This solution also works pretty fast and has zero downtime. Dentists all over the world including the UK rely on veneers to cover up gaps between the adjacent teeth. In most of the cases of gapped teeth orthodontic procedures prove to be less suitable. This is where veneers come in to fill up the gap.
Veneers are a cosmetic dentistry procedure. As mentioned earlier this covers only the front surface of the tooth. Veneers provide a very natural look for your tooth or teeth. It perfectly resembles the natural shape, size and colour of the teeth.
It is practically impossible to identify a veneered tooth or teeth from the rest of the teeth in your mouth. It is your dentist’s responsibility to select a particular shade of veneers for your teeth so that the veneered teeth do not stand out in contrast with the rest of the teeth. The skills and experience of any dentist are tested in the selection of the right shade of veneers for a particular patient.
It is important to mention that the cost of veneers in the UK is not uniform. The cost varies from case to case depending on certain factors. Now in the following section let us explore a few benefits of teeth veneers.
Table of Contents
Advantages that veneer treatment offers
- More even and whiter teeth – Veneers are a tried and tested procedure to improve the appearance of your smile. Most importantly it provides you with a more even and whiter smile.
- Provides a perfect finish that looks natural and realistic – Porcelain veneers can copy the natural quality of reflecting light that the tooth enamel possesses. As a result your veneered tooth or teeth never stand out from the rest. You can rest assured that with veneer treatment your teeth get the most natural-looking results.
- Result sustains for years together – Veneers are a long-term cosmetic dentistry solution. With minimal care and maintenance veneers can easily last for ten years or even more. In other words, it is absolutely value for money.
- Durable and resistant to stains – Compared to composite resin porcelain veneers are more resistant to stains. As such your veneered tooth or teeth are not likely to pick up stains that easily. Moreover, it is a strong and durable solution that easily lasts for years together. Compared to composite bonding this one lasts much longer. Last but the least porcelain veneers offer considerable strength to your teeth that can only be compared to that of crowns.
Now let us go through the disadvantages of this procedure.
Disadvantages of composite veneers
- Irreversible damage to the tooth enamel – According to a dentist who offers reasonable cost for composite veneers in London this procedure brings irreversible damage to the enamel layer of the tooth. The tooth or teeth that are to be veneered have to be prepared first. This is done by scraping away a little of the protective tooth enamel. This is permanent damage and this loss cannot be replaced by any means.
- Complain about teeth sensitivity – Some patients complain about sensitivity in the teeth following veneer treatment.
- Porcelain veneer may sustain damage – Although porcelain veneers are quite tough and durable they may sustain damage at times. These damages occur when you try biting down on hard food items. Even teeth grinding or bruxism can damage your tooth veneer. Certain activities like nail biting and chewing on pen caps and pencil tips are strictly forbidden for those who have veneered teeth. These activities may expose your veneered tooth to severe impact. As a result, the veneer is likely to get damaged. Damaged veneers have to be repaired or replaced without any delay.
Approximate cost of dental veneer treatment
You are already aware that the cost of this treatment varies from case to case depending on several factors. Most importantly the cost of veneers in London or anywhere else for that matter depends on the individual needs of a patient. A few factors that determine the final cost of the treatment include the following –
- The type of veneers that is required for a given patient
- The material of veneers used
- Expertise and qualifications of a dentist
- The number of veneers a patient needs
For example, composite veneers usually cost less than porcelain veneers. Before carrying out the procedure your dentist will inform you in detail about all your options and the respective costs. Therefore you can easily make an informed decision about the type of veneers that you should go for.
Many patient-centric private dental practices offer you easy payment options for the treatment. As a result, you can spread out the total treatment cost in easy monthly instalments. There is another important thing for you to consider.
You may select any type of veneer that fits your budget and preference. But it is important to make sure that you choose the right kind of veneer for your tooth. Veneers exist in different varieties and every category is not suitable for everyone. However, there is nothing to worry about. Your dentist will guide you over the matter and assure a dentist associated with the Thousand Smiles dental practice.
The treatment procedure
After the initial consultation with your dentist, the veneer treatment is a process of three steps.
- First, the tooth is prepared so that the veneer adheres to it. The protective enamel coating of the tooth is scrapped away a little to make space for the veneer film. Patients are usually administered with local anaesthesia in this stage to feel completely relaxed.
- In the next step, an impression of the tooth is taken. This is done either by placing soft putty in your mouth on a tray or by digital scanning of the mouth.
- In the third and last stage, the veneer is adhered to the front surface of the tooth using dental glue. Final adjustments are necessary. Those are done before the veneer is permanently secured to the tooth surface.
Compared to most other cosmetic dentistry treatments the price of veneers is undeniably reasonable. Once the veneer treatment is over the gums may feel a little sore. This problem clears away in a few days. Meanwhile, you must brush your teeth carefully.